A
NEW BABY IS LIKE
THE BEGINNING OF
ALL THINGS

Choking Suffocation Or Strangulation

You can use an empty toilet paper roll to test for choking hazards in your home. If an item is small enough to pass through it, it’s a choking hazard.

If your baby uses a soother, make sure it’s one piece with a shield to prevent him from sucking the nipple too far into his mouth. Discard any soother that shows signs of wear or is more than 2 months old.

In your baby’s crib:

  • Keep soft materials out of your baby’s crib. Items that shouldn’t be in the crib include quilts, comforters, bumper pads, pillows or stuffed animals. Keep the crib away from window blinds or cords.
  • Remove your crib mobile when your baby is 4 months old or when he starts pushing himself up on his hand and knees.

When awake and at play:

  • Vacuum often, and never leave small objects within your baby’s reach. He will put anything and everything in his mouth.
  • Don’t keep toys with pull strings longer than 20 cm (8 inches) or toys that have small, loose or breakable parts that your baby could swallow or inhale.
  • Don’t use bibs with ties.
  • Don’t hang pacifiers, a necklace or anything else around your baby’s neck. Use a clip with a short ribbon attached to your baby’s soother instead.
  • Don’t use amber necklaces to reduce teething pain. These necklaces made ofsmall amber beads on a string are worn around a baby’s neck and are said to relieve teething pain. Your baby can choke on the beads or be strangled by the necklace. Use a teething ring instead.
  • Keep all plastic bags out of reach and out of sight.
  • Latex balloons are a choking hazard and shouldn’t be used.
  • Avoid clothing with drawstrings at the neck or waist. For winter, use a neck warmer instead of a scarf and mitten clips instead of strings.

Keep magnets, especially toy magnets that are small enough to be swallowed, away from your baby. They are extremely dangerous. If your baby swallows two or more magnets, they can attract to one another even through your baby’s intestinal walls and become trapped in her body, causing serious injury. Jewelry magnets should be kept out of reach.

error: Content is protected !!